Analytics
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude tracking URLs with parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I have a plan to track different goal pathes (funnels) for differtent products by sending an virtual pageview which will add an parameter to the url adress after adding something to the cart.

For example, client enters the site, adds a ssd disc to the cart by clicking [order], and from now on, the url adress trough all his journey (untill he closes the window) will contain a parameter. I mean normally he would have : domain.com/shop/ -> domain.com/cart/ -> domain.com/order/ . He will get  domain.com/shop/?p=ssd -> domain.com/cart/?p=ssd -> domain.com/order/?p=ssd

This parameter will be sent as a vrtual pageview to not mess with the SEO stuff.

My question is :

How i can set up my analytics account that this change dont affect my current data views? I want to exclude the virtual pageviews from the current created views and create a new one just for the purpose of tracking these new product funnels with parameters.

I hope u understood me well. Pls help

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exclude tracking URLs with parameters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jakub,

in your standard view you could insert p in 'Exclude URL Query Parameters' in your view settings.

And create a further view in your property in which you don't exclude that parameter.

Christoph

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

for your old views exclude the p parameter so it does not show up in content dimensions so you will preserve the paths such as /shop/, /cart/and /order/ while your new one will have the added p parameter.

On a side note what will you do if multiple products are in the cart?

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

But if im not mistaken, after doing that, the views will be still counted, am i right? I mean now in my old view i will get 2x more views than normally, they will not contain the parameter but still be taken into consideration?

I want them to be just ignored and the number of views to stay at the same level as now. Will it work that way?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Zorin please read my reply to Chris and please let me know if it works that way as i described.

As it comes to the multiple products. From my CRM statistics i know that people add on average a maximum of 2 products (usually its 1).

I have 2 ways to solve it:

1) add only the 1st one added
2) add every product as a parameter, i mean it would look like : /cart/?p=ssd&tv&headphones

Whats your recomendation? I want to track a path for a certain product, not only the global funnel

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Jakub,

you could do a view filter excluding pages that contain p=ssd. That would remove that page views completely without altering the page views of the page without p=ssd.

Christoph

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Jakub,

as Cristoph said you can play with view filters to exclude the pages in the reports.

As for the string from the p parameter it really depends on how you want report on the funnel - excluding one of the products would probably not be a smart idea as you can loose info and decide on partial data. I would in your case pass all of the products but use a different delimiter such as p=ssd-cable or similar.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net