Analytics
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude specific pass-through traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to exclude traffic that comes to our site just to get the link to another of our sites.

In the top right corner of example.com is a link to go to totallydifferenturl.com. The most common reason people come to example.com is to get to that link. I would like to exclude users who do that from our analytics. 

Any Ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Exclude specific pass-through traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can set up event tracking for the link to the other site and then use an advanced segment to exclude users who clicked the link.

Please check the document below about tracking outbound links:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Exclude specific pass-through traffic

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In addition, to what Arnold said, 

I think, One can achieve a similar result this way too.

If you are using GTM, I would use GTM NOT to fire GA  tags for all visitors clicking on that outbound link..

Ellaiah Pusa

About Me

Click to read the Community Guidelines:

Re: Exclude specific pass-through traffic

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are using GTM, I would use GTM NOT to fire GA  tags for all visitors clicking on that outbound link..  

@ellaiahpusa if users click on that outbound link and we prevent the event tag (or all the GA tags) from firing, we will still see sessions initiated by those users in GA but without those hits that help us to identify those users who clicked on that link. Smiley Happy

@Greg S wants to exclude traffic that comes to his site and click on a specific link. He's trying to exclude those sessions, not specific hits.

I would use an advanced segment to exclude users who clicked on the link as @Arnold M already mentioned.

Great discussion. Keep up the good work Ellaiah & Arnold! Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Taavi