Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude internal traffic without IP address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We tried to exclude an internal traffic from our web. Originally we wanted to exclude all internal IP address however due to higher number of employees who are in different locations we chose the other solution (not sure if the best one)  :-( 

So, we have created a Custom filter with Hostname (e.g. www.ourcompany.com)/Filter Pattern (www.ourcompanyweb.com) and verified the filter.

Filter seemed to be successfully applied. However since that time there is absolutely no traffic on our web.
Now there are 2 possible scenarios:
- filter was not set up correctly
or
- there is really 0 traffic from outside

Could you please advice whether we really excluded all internal traffic coming from the colleagues or we excluded the entire traffic from our web (internal and external)?

If so, would be then the only solution to exclude internal traffic via IP address?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you.

Ondrej

filter.PNG

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ondrej L
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ondrej,

With that filter configuration, you are in fact excluding all traffic to your site. You should remove it as soon as possible to avoid more lost data.

A hostname is where the visit arrives, in this case, your domain, so by excluding your domain all traffic to it will be excluded. 

You can try excluding a range of IPs, just note that this has to be the public IP, not the internal IPs.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840

You can also try excluding the whole ISP domain used by your company.

Hope it helps, 

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ondrej L
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ondrej,

With that filter configuration, you are in fact excluding all traffic to your site. You should remove it as soon as possible to avoid more lost data.

A hostname is where the visit arrives, in this case, your domain, so by excluding your domain all traffic to it will be excluded. 

You can try excluding a range of IPs, just note that this has to be the public IP, not the internal IPs.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840

You can also try excluding the whole ISP domain used by your company.

Hope it helps, 

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Carlos.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Rising Star, 

I noticed both domains are different not same.

Hostname (e.g. www.ourcompany.com)/Filter Pattern (www.ourcompanyweb.com