AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude homepage of a website not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to create a view that excludes traffic to our homepage.

I have the filter set up to exclude Request URI of "/". Yet this filter view shows 0 traffic, it seems to be excluding the entire website.

In the unfiltered view, this page shows up as "/" in my content report (not index.html or anything else) - so how do I exclude just "/"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Exclude homepage of a website not working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Katie M,

If you would like to exclude traffic to your homepage only, ie "/", then you could use a filter with the filter pattern of:

^\/$

This excludes only anything with a request URI of exactly "/".

Just out of curiosity though, what is the reason for doing this (please don't feel like you need to answer this!)?
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Re: Exclude homepage of a website not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! Based on the filter verification tool this seems to be working properly.

The reason I'm looking to do this is that our product is currently in semi-closed beta - the homepage itself is just a splash page promoting our upcoming launch and doesn't let user into the site. The actual product is accessible via back-door URLs (other than / ) . So I wanted to create a view of people using the actual product, not just visiting our splash page.

Thanks again for your help on this.