Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude from Analytics Reports users who exit via a certain link

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a software company and we have two websites which we track with Google Analytics. One is our marketing website for customer acquisition, and one is our actual software. There is a "Login" link from our marketing website to our software for our customers to use to access their accounts. 

The problem is that we seem to have a lot of bounce traffic on our website, but I believe this is from our customers going to our marketing website in order to log in to our software. 

I want to keep the two sites on separate GA accounts as the data from the software is useful to our product team. 

Is there a way that I can filter the GA traffic on the marketing website so that any users who come to the site and exit straightaway via the LogIn link are filtered out of reports? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You cannot do it using filters because they are applied to incoming hits. You can send an event to GA when the login button is clicked and then you can set up a segment that would exclude sessions with the login event. Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Laura,

I would put them on one account, use cross domain and then separate the two using views and filters.  That said, you can do it the way you have configured in a number of ways. 

Probably the best would be to simply create a custom dimension on the user level for people that interact with that log-in button.  You can then create a view to exclude (via filter) those with a custom dimension of "customer".  The problem with that is you'll need to wait for validation that the log-in is sucessful.. and that may not happen on your marketing site (some potential customers will kick the tires and click "log-in").   You could also just fire an event when someone clicks the button and then create a segment to exclude those sessions.

I would unify the tracking, create views for each, use custom dimensions and also userId.

More on custom dimensions here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn