AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude Internal Traffic by logged in google user account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All of our orders are placed through our website, even if my sales team places them. I would like to exclude the sales team's traffic from my Google Analytics since they are using the website a lot and it skews my reports. My sales team is distributed or on the road so IP address exclusion is not an option. We use Google Apps for Business and Chrome, so my sales people are logged in whenever they access the site. I would like to exclude their google users from tracking in Annalytics. Is this possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

You can ask your sales team to use "Google Analytics Opt-out" browser add-on. You can find it through the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en

Alternatively, you can try to set up a custom dimension and create a filter by using it to achieve what you need but this will be more complicated solution.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Güney

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Do you mean that some orders can be placed by customers, whilst others can be placed by your sales team? In which case I'd recommend keeping this data in your reports, but labelling it in such a way that you can filter it out as required. As @Gny mentioned, a custom dimension would be very suitable in this case. I'd assume that your sales team have a special log-in or other payment method? In which case you could ask your developer team to add a custom dimension to the transaction hit which identifies those as being internally generated. As an extra bonus, you could even identify which sales person it is using some kind of PII compliant code i.e. anonymised. Failing that, you could ask your developers to simply add an additional label to the product category e.g. $productcategoryname - sales team when a member of the sales team makes a sale.

Once you've got a custom dimension in place you can then filter and/or segment purchases as you wish.

Alternatively - and again using custom dimensions - you could ask all team members to visit a hidden page on your website which adds a custom dimension to their GA cookie. Subsequent visits can, again be filtered on that custom dimension. This will fail, however, if they use another device to make the sale or routinely flush cookies.

Further down in this blog post is detailed explanation for some of the methods described here:http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/04/27/internal-traffic-google-analytics/

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.