Analytics
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude IP address filter - Multiple IPs not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I have a filter set on the Account level, applied to all website data. It is a custom filter to exclude two separate IP addresses from our two physical office locations. 

10.10.10.1 is our first locations IP address and 200.200.200.20 is our second locations IP address. I  have entered the IP's into the filter as such: 10\.10\.10\.1|200\.200\.200\.20  but is has not excluded any of the traffic from those IP addresses.

Should I be entering this instead? ^10\.10\.10\.1$|^200\.200\.200\.20$

Or perhaps this? 10.10.10.1|200.200.200.20

or is it this? ^10.10.10.1$|^200.200.200.20$

Thanks in advance Google Community!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monique W
April

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

you should do this ^10\.10\.10\.1$|^200\.200\.200\.20$

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Norman K.

Thanks a bunch!

One more question... maybe you know the answer too: Is there any way to confirm that the IP Address Exclusion is working (without having to wait for the data to populate in Google Analytics)?

Thanks in advance!

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Before applying any filters to your data, it is recommended that you create these filters in a test view and copy to the main view later when you see the correct data. Because once you apply the filters data is changed permanently. secondly, for verifying filters you can click on the verify this filter link before saving the filter. Here is a good resource for your help https://www.optimizesmart.com/guide-filter-verification-google-analytics/

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

unfortunately it does't work for me, any idea why? 

IP address 1: 184.160.109.96

IP address 2: 70.82.170.124

IP address 3: 166.62.245.77

What I wrote: ^184\.160\.109\.96$|^70\.82\.170\.124$|^166\.62\.245\.77$

They told me that's an invalid IP address...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Raphael,

That's a wrong regex for multiple IP's. You don't have to add '^' and '$'. '^' include at the beginning and '$' at the end. here is the correct regex ^184\.160\.109\.96|70\.82\.170\.124|166\.62\.245\.77$

You can always test your regex with this tool https://regex101.com/

hope this helps

Re: Exclude IP address filter - Multiple IPs not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Noman,

I've tried what you suggest but it does not seem to filter any of the traffic.filter.PNG

The 'X's are of course replaced with the values of the IP address. Any ideas why this isn't working?

Thanks,

Parker Wieck

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Parker,

Create the custom filter and use the regex to exclude multiple IPs. I have covered this topic in a short guide. you can see this to get it done: http://marketlytics.com/analytics-faq/exclude-multiple-ips-google-analytics

hope this helps

Best

Noman

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Noman,

Based off your guide I changed it to: ^XXX\.XX\.XXX$|XX\.XX\.XX\.XX$
And this is still not doing anything. Is there something wrong with the way that I'm excluding every IP that begins with the given value?

Thanks,
Parker

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Parker,

Your regex is fine but you should know that regex doesn't work for predefined filter types. select custom filter and use the regex you wrote. hope this helps now

regards

Noman