AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude IP Address Filter not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to exclude internal traffic from GA stats.

Our router is using both IP v4 and IP v6. So as a "belt and braces" approach I have created filters for -

- external IP of the v4 address of the router

- external IP of the v6 address of the router

- Ip v6 of each computer in the office.

To exclude the possibility of typos or other causing an issue with filtering out a range with a regular expression I have created a separate filter for each IP (very small network).

Each IP has the filter set up as per the attached screenshot.

I have an unfiltered GA view and the my filters have been applied to a separate view.

Filters have been in place for more than a month.

As a test I set up a hidden webpage on the website. Over a period of two days I clicked on the URL of that page from several machines in the office.

When I view the stats I can see that the page views are identical in each.

I have checked via "whatsmyip" on each computer to make sure that they are all going out via the same IP.

I also excluded traffic from another location as a test.

Since then I can see that the traffic from the other location is correctly being filtered out. But still trffic from in the office is not.

We are not using ip anonymisation in the GA tag.

What could be causing the issue?

I have no idea what else to check! Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
4w

Re: Exclude IP Address Filter not working

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I had the same problem. I had a lot of contact with the technical team at Google and we have found a solution.

Do you have the new Universal Analyitcs source code? In the new Universal Analytics source code there is a parameter called: 'anonymizeIp'. If the value is 'false', you need to change your IP filters a bit.

For example: Our IP is: 92.111.192.178
Normaly I put that exact IP in the filter. But with de ANONYMIZEIP on false I had to change that. You have to replace the last digets behind the last dot with a zero ( 0 ).
My excluded IP eventually became: 92.111.192.0.

Now it is working! I hope it helps for you and anyone else having this problem.

View solution in original post

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GA Guru,

Thanks for your reply.

I ran the tag assistant recording and went through the process to change location to see if it would show the page views as filtered out when I set the IP to the company IP.

The tag assistant is showing the page views as being dropped by the IP filter in the test GA view where I added the filter. Which indicates the tag is correct.

BUT I can still see views to that page in the GA test view when there should be none.

I have checked that I am using the same GA view in Tag Assistant and GA.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
4w

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I had the same problem. I had a lot of contact with the technical team at Google and we have found a solution.

Do you have the new Universal Analyitcs source code? In the new Universal Analytics source code there is a parameter called: 'anonymizeIp'. If the value is 'false', you need to change your IP filters a bit.

For example: Our IP is: 92.111.192.178
Normaly I put that exact IP in the filter. But with de ANONYMIZEIP on false I had to change that. You have to replace the last digets behind the last dot with a zero ( 0 ).
My excluded IP eventually became: 92.111.192.0.

Now it is working! I hope it helps for you and anyone else having this problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Daniel.

The site with this issue was using the older analytics.js so there was no anonymizeip parameter in it.

That's good info though and I will definitely look out for that in the future!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your info, Daniel.

I had excluded our internal IP adress before starting to anonymize IP addresses. This did the trick.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having this issue, where I created a filter to exclude my home IP address, yet it is not working. I am being shown in GA.

The value of anonymizeIp is true for me.

> You have to replace the last digets behind the last dot with a zero ( 0 ).

That makes zero sense to just replace that last digit with 0. If Google is truly doing this, I would be absolutely shocked.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Daniël B You, sir, are a hero. I could have been looking for days/weeks/months for this information! Thanks a lot

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Analytics Solutions Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here