Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Equal filter results in different values for widgets

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I have an issue regarding the use of filters inside widgets. I have recently started to use Google Analytics to track things inside my Android and iOS application. 

In order to be able to view some of the things I track, I have setup a custom Dashboard in Google Analytics. I have split the view into the segments of ios traffic and android traffic. I have setup two widgets. One is a bar chart and the other one is a geomap for a country.

If I am now using the exact same filters on the bar chart widget and the geo map widget the values seem to differ. The bar chart shows the correct values as I have limited the view to only show one specific day where I have tested this. I tried tracking the click of a button and exactly tracked that hit once with an event value of 1. (Can be verified by looking at the users) I have made sure that this is the one and only hit and the bar chart correctly reports this.

However the geo map shows an event value of 4 although I am using the exact same filter.

Am I missing something really important here or is it just a bug or anything?

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Equal filter results in different values for widgets

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Richard,

What metrics are you using in your widgets?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo,

well I am using the event value as the value that should be displayed. For the bar chart I am grouping by operating system. For the geo map there is no grouping. I am just displaying the event value per country.

As filters I use a three "only show" filters. One that specifies a category, one that specifies the action and one that filters a custom dimension, which I have defined. These three filters are equal for both widgets.

I am not sure how the GeoMap displays an event value of 4 while the bar chart displayed the correct event value of 1.

I hope my answer is what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Richard

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I still haven't found a solution or have any clue about the issue. Is there anything I might have missed?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hey Richard,

Sorry.. long holiday weekend. Smiley Happy

This could be normal behavior based on the dimensions you've selected. That said,
I'd be happy to take a quick look at your dashboard configuration if you want to share a link here.

Just go to the dashboard, select share and then template link.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Theo,

I am sorry unfortunately I can not share the dashboard with you since this is a university project and I am not yet allowed to share any data of it.

In this case I am just tracking a click on a button. For this I am using a Category (lets say "C"), a Action (lets say "Clicked") and a Label (lets say "ButtonA") and a Event Value of 1. Inside the dashboard I have set up a new widget. I used a bar chart for this. I am grouping the values by a custom dimension I have created and I display the event value. To filter all data to correctly display the clicks on that button I use the following filters on the widget: Only show -> Event Category -> Containing -> "C",
Only show -> Event Action -> Containing -> "Clicked", Only show -> Event Label -> Containing -> "ButtonA". I am also using a segments on the dashboard itself: iOS Traffic and Android Traffic.

I have created another widget using the GeoMap. There I chose to display Event Value and Country and I also applied the same filters to the widget that I have specified above.

The bar chart correctly reports only 1 button hit (Android) for a day where I know I have only done one button hit. However the geomap shows completely different values. (4 on Android and 23 on iOS).

Is it possible that the filtering does not work properly?

I hope this helps you, I am so sorry that I can not provide any more information. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you find the issue.

Cheers,

Richard

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hey Richard,

I should be able to look at your post here in the next day or two. That said, when you share a dashboard via a template link, you are only sharing the configuration. I would not have access to any of the data.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn