AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic IP address filter: NO extension and NO cookie implementation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I am trying to set up a Dynamic IP filter for a couple of my clients. My ultimate goal is to be able to implement a dynamic IP filter for client from my office without:

1) Having to install an extension on the computer I want to exclude (too many to maintain)

2) Having to make use of cookies (https://www.ohow.co/exclude-dynamic-ip-google-analytics/); since we won't always know when some of our clients clear their cach. 

Ideally I would like to be able to determine the IP ranges of the network used by my clients (basically using teamviewer if necessary to determine the IP range on their network), and block all traffic from all the dynamic IP addresses (for example 30 people(sources) at a business, the business being our client, to be blocked by filtering out the traffic generated through that specific router/location), without potentially blocking actual traffic from sources outside of the business/client. 

I think this might sound a little vague, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I have been struggling for 2 weeks trying to find a solution meeting all the criteria.

Thanks so much in advance!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Oftentimes the network name might be a better/easier thing to filter than IP ranges. If your clients have their own network names (rather than a more generic provider), this could work easily.

But there something else to consider: your clients are probably legit, valid visitors. They represent a different persona with a specific visitor intent and goals. Instead of trying to filter them out completely, why not consider them as a population segment?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thank you for the input. The intend to use google analytics tracking to provide marketing advice on what kind of users are attracted to their websites. We recently landed a client with hundreds of employees; the goal is to filter out all the employees that are visiting the site (as they often do when they are bored during business hours) as they are not paying customers and need to be excluded (at least in a master view) to have a clearer indication of who the true customers are.

Setting them up as a segment is a good idea; how would one go about determining whether or not clients have their own network names, and how would set a filter up for that segment to have that data separate to general data?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

First, look under Audience/Technology/Network - try to see if any of the names you see sound like the client.

Then, under Admin/View/Filters, create an Exclude filter where traffic from the ISP domain matches the name you've found.