AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Does the Not Provided Filter Trick Work in 2017?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

I've just overtaken an account and reviewing all the settings, filters, goals etc.

One of the views has a filter to try and give some context to the (not provided) keywords for Organic. It looks to be set up properly. However, the Campaigns --> Organic Keywords report just shows "np - $b1" (instead of the old (not provided)) taking 98% of the data. So it's not really providing any additional information. Does this work, did a setting get missed???

not-provided.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Help P :-)

Couple of changes need to be made to the filter

Field A -> Extract A

Campaign Term (not provided)

- without the periods . 

Field B -> Extract B
Request URI (.*)

Output To -> Constructor

Campaign Term np - $B1

- afaik should be uppercase B

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Bronwyn! I did wonder about case sensitivity on the Constructor. Funny about the periods though - every article I read that described this has periods. I've just reviewed another account with the same thing

(.not provided.)

I'll make the adjustments and hopefully see some data!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Not sure why there would be periods in the filter in the articles. When you check the reports, it is reported in GA reports as (not provided), so that is what the filter is looking to match

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've checked yet another account.

It does have (.not provided.), but the Constructor is $B1 (uppercase), and the data IS coming through as expected.

The periods are a regex, I believe, they capture the () as well - to have a perfect match. If periods are not used it only matches the phrase not provided (without the () ). 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
It seems to work with or without.

I've not ever used the periods and not ever had an issue with it.

Good to hear you have it sorted out now :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to this and see how to set up the filter but I'm unclear how to access the results.  Could you point me to the right location?  Thanks