AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Do I use 'Users' as a dimension or metric?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question but I've been learning analytics and I'm now confused.

I have a website, eg www.page.com, with many pages and I just want stats for one URL: www.page.com/page1, with user stats AND page views/bounce rates, etc. But I'm not sure whether to use User as dimension or a metric, since both options are there and both stats are different. 

So would I: 

a) Go to behaviour > site content 

Search for www.page.com/page1 as a primary dimension

then would I have 'user type' as a secondary dimension? 

Then the page views, unique page views, etc would already be there? 

OR 

b) 

Would I make a custom report for www.page.com/page1 and have 'User' and 'New user' as metrics, alongside page views, unique page views, etc. 

In summary: 

1. If I wanted to find stats for users AND page views for one specific URL, what would be the best way to do it?

2. What exactly is the difference between all 'users/new/returning' as a dimension and 'user/new user' as a metric?

Re: Do I use 'Users' as a dimension or metric?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Michelle,

1. If I wanted to find stats for users AND page views for one specific URL, what would be the best way to do it?

I would create a custom report in order to get this data. You can use this kind of custom report for example. If you get it, click on the Edit button and apply this kind of filter:

Include -> Page -> Regex -> page1$

Or you can also use it in your table filter as well:

table filter.png

Here
you can read more about regular expressions in Google Analytics.

What exactly is the difference between all 'users/new/returning' as a dimension and 'user/new user' as a metric?

If you read through this article, you'll find the answer.

Let me know if it helps.

Taavi