Analytics
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancies Between Segments and Identical Set of Advanced Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi GA Partners,

When looking through some data for a client I was having trouble understanding why an applied segment would result in a different number of reported sessions over a given date range, then a regular combination of include filters using the advanced filter tools. For Example:

This is the Channels report for the month of July with the advanced conditions segment Default Channel Grouping = Social (Sessions, Include, DCG exactly matches Social) there is also an advanced filter that is set to Include Source Matching RegEx facebook|m.facebook|fbpage. The end result is to see a report of only the Social DCG for only Facebook related sources.Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 5.00.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 4.49.23 PM.png

Following is the Channels report for the same date range with no segment applied. Instead there is an advanced filter that Includes DFG  exactly matching Social, and Source Matching RegEx facebook|m.facebook|fbpage.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 4.52.48 PM.png

To me these are logically identical but the sessions are clearly different. Does anyone know why this might be?

Best,

AJ

ALEC JACOB "A.J." RANZATO | DIGITAL ANALYST

aranzato@resolute.com | m: 845.598.0792

RESOLUTE DIGITAL, LLC

601 West 26th St #1515 | New York, NY 10001

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancies Between Segments and Identical Set of Advanced Filters

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
AJ,

First, just to be clear, this is the public forum for GA. That said, without looking deeply at the two methods you used; I suspect you are seeing a variance due to sampling. Although we can't see it in your screenshot, adding a secondary dimension to a report with more than 500k sessions will result in sampling - Unless this GA 360.

Can you confirm that you are seeing sampling?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Discrepancies Between Segments and Identical Set of Advanced Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thank you for your response and please excuse the "GA Partners" bit (a canceled draft of an email).

The account I'm working with is in fact a GA 360 one, so I cannot confirm any visible sampling. Thats not to say something isn't happening "behind the scenes" but I would not know what it was (for example an new observation is that the application of a secondary dimension will actually increase the sessions metric beyond 100% of sessions).

Are there any other leads to follow concerning Segments vs. Advanced filters?

Thank you,
AJ