AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Direct visits after individual Fetch as Google

qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Whenever I use Fetch as Google I immediately get visits from Google bot (2 in fact, one for mobile; another for full size). How can I block these visits from appearing in my stats?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Direct visits after individual Fetch as Google

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

See my next comment! Smiley LOL

qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Philip

No! I have that selected and Google's own bot still registers as a direct visitor. It is ONLY when I use the Fetch as Google. It is annoying!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Sometimes you do something for so long you forget why you do it! Comparing my unfiltered and typical filtered config, I remembered I use a scanner filter to take care of some bot and testing tools. Bing Ads really messed with some of my clients awhile back and I added this into the standard filtered views. This will also block a lot of testing tools like Hubspot that use Amazon:

Filter: Exclude
Filter Field: ISP Domain
Filter Pattern: amazonaws.com|google.com|msn.com

qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Philip

Thanks, but... I can't understand your post...

What am I supposed to do? Go into Admin/.../View Settings and make sure that Bot Filtering is ticked for Exclude

Is there something else I forgot?

I wonder if there is a specific url/ip address for the Google bot when it reacts to Fetch as Google.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Sorry for the brief explanation. You need to add a filter - at the view level. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwRzUEc_tA&nohtml5=False

Referencing this video, you would use the steps I listed earlier to create a custom filter.

Remember, create multiple profiles for each property - keeping one view unfiltered so if there is a mistake or problem you can still see your original data.  More at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2649553?hl=en

qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
qim
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Filter: Exclude
Filter Field: ISP Domain
Filter Pattern: amazonaws.com|google.com|msn.com

Hi Phil

It's taken me some time for the penny to drop... It works! Thanks