Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Difference between filters and operators in audiences definition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings to the community.

I want to know what's the difference between using filters and operators in audiences definition.

I'm creating an audience based on several criteria for specific pages visitors and event triggers.

So I'm using the OR operators inside the same filter for visitors of various pages, however I need to add one more criteria based on an Event action. But this Event action has a prerequisite of a page criteria.

Example:

Filter - Sessions - Include

Page -> Contains -> /page1

OR

Page -> Contains -> /page2

OR

Page -> Contains -> /page3

OR

Event -> Exactly Matches -> Event1 (however this event has a prerequisite of Page -> Contains -> /el/)

If I use a second Filter (with Sessions - Include again) and add there

Event -> Exactly Matches -> Event1

AND

Page -> Contains -> /el/

and leave the first Filter with the first 3 criteria will it work as I want?

That is if I use more than one filters, but with "Include" selected will these two filters have an OR relation between them?

Thanks, 

Difference between filters and operators in audiences definition

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If between two filters of the same category with different dimensions the relation between them is AND (if I understand correctly this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en#filters), then the other option would be to build the audience like this:

Filter - Sessions - Include

Page -> Contains -> /el/

AND

Event -> Exactly Matches -> Event1

OR

Page -> Contains -> /page1

OR

Page -> Contains -> /page2

OR

Page -> Contains -> /page3

Would this setup include all sessions visited pages 1, 2, 3 or triggered the event1 but only in pages with /el in the path?

Thanks,