Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Did my new view stop my raw view from collecting data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys.

My site had just one view -- raw -- and I wanted to get a better sense of my actual traffic.

I added a new view to filter bots and spiders on Friday (left the raw view untouched).

From Fri-Sun last week, I had 914 sessions, 790 users, 1180 pageviews. This is about average.

This morning, my raw view is showing Fri-Sun this week was 45 sessions, 43 users, 70 pageviews.

Something went very wrong somewhere, and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what that might be.

Thanks

Re: Did my new view stop my raw view from collecting data?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Duncan,

1) From Fri-Sun last week, I had 914 sessions, 790 users, 1180 pageviews. This is about average. - When and where did you get that information?

2) This morning, my raw view is showing Fri-Sun this week was 45 sessions, 43 users, 70 pageviews.

Did you analyze data exactly within the same date range?

Google Analytics filters permanently alter your data. But once applied, they do not affect historical data. Are you sure that you're comparing the same properties and views?

If you didn't apply any filters to your raw data view, it should be accurate.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not sure what you mean by "Did you analyze data exactly within the same date range?"

Starting from the All Data (Raw) view, created a new view (not a filter on the raw view).
From that new view I clicked the checkbox to filter out spiders and bots.

The numbers I quote all came from the original the raw view. There's a >90% drop off on everything from one week to the next that I can't explain.

There are no filters on my raw view, but it's showing 11 sessions so far today. I created (yet another) new view that is all data when I realized something was wrong this morning -- it's showing 297 sessions. Clearly something is wrong, I just don't know what it is.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Duncan,

Basically, you didn't change anything regarding your old raw data view, but somehow it's not working properly anymore? Are you sure that you didn't apply any filters on that old raw data view or you didn't change anything (double-check all of your settings in GA)?

It's really hard to believe that it could happen if you really didn't change anything in your old raw data view.
Is this new view working properly where filtered out spiders and bots?

Taavi