Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Device Model missing for iPhones (e.g. iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 6)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

Actually, on Google Analytics Reports, if you go to Audience -> Mobile -> Devices, you won't be able to view the exact device model for iPhones (or iPads for that matter) - e.g. "iPhone 4", "iPhone 4S", "iPhone 5", etc. as they are shown for other mobile phone brands: http://screencast.com/t/otqzXtpvF

This is a very old issue which hasn't been resolved and people stil complain about this on the old Forum threat: Differentiate Apple devices by exact model

Can someone from the Google Analytics Team have a look over this and give us some feedback please?
Thanks.
Arthur

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Device Model missing for iPhones (e.g. iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Arthur,

it might be a workaround to approach the issue by using flat-table custom reports with simultaneous dimensions "Mobile Device Info", "Screen Resolution" and "Operating System Version" to guess what iPhone version it might have been.

Christoph

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your input.

What I'm trying to do is fixing a useful feature in the main Google Analytics which is not working as intended for a very long time Smiley Happy and not all the regular people know how to create an advanced custom report and then "print" the info they need out of it.

That's why I wish this issue to reach an Google official to get it fixed.

Arthur

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Arthur,

okay, I see.

Are you sure that the information about the exact iPhone model is actually available technically? If so, it should be somehow visible in the HTTP User Agent. That's the way analytics tool derive that information from. I've taken a look into that iPhone agents in a current data sample:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A5376e Safari/8536.25
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12A4345d Safari/600.1.4
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B410 Safari/600.1.4
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12H143 Safari/600.1.4
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_4_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12H321 Safari/600.1.4

I'm not sure if there are any conclusive hints about the exact iPhone model. OS/browser versions deliver only limited evidence, I think.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.
There is a way to get iPhone models into Google Analytics, actually. You'll have to use a JavaScript (https://web.wurfl.io/#wurfl-js) to identify the device, and then put the data from there into Google Analytics. You can do that like this (if you're using the new "universal" analytics)

;

ga('send', 'pageview',
{ 'dimension1': WURFL.complete_device_name, 'dimension2': WURFL.form_factor, 'dimension3': WURFL.is_mobile }
);

Then you'll have to define these as custom dimensions in the admin section of GA. When that is done, you can make reports with these dimensions in the GA user interface. So, will not replace anything in GA, but add to it.

Here is a video explaining the process:

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Jon Arne,

Since the iPhone model is not exposed in the User Agent and ; therefore, not available to the client; how is this accurately transferred to Google Analytics? Or is it just a guess based upon screen resolution, pixel density, etc? Like @webfield suggests? Also this seems to be a paid service that you are promoting, is that correct?

Currently you can only see the iPhone model if the hit came from an in-app browser and this is the only time the user agent is exposed. I've seen some other folks do some objective c hacks and there is even a project on github for apps I believe, are you using the same methodology? or something else? As far as I know, outside of the in-app browse or implementing the code in-app, the user agent is never exposed and there is no accurate way to get this data. Care to share more?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Device Model missing for iPhones (e.g. iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 6)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. Thank you for your reply. The service https://web.wurfl.io/#wurfl-js is free. (There is a paid version too, but if you follow the instructions on https://web.wurfl.io/#wurfl-js it is completely free of charge.) 

Also, true that the User-Agent from browsers does not contain enough information to identify iPhone models. (this is why it's not shown in GA). However, since wurfl.js combine server side and client side tricks, it is possible to differentiate. It is the combination that makes this possible. Just give it a try Smiley Wink