Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Dedicated view for traffic from specific IP addresses

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I have set up 3 views in Analytics

1. Standard view
  2. An 'Exclude IP' view which filters out IP's from several internal IP addresses, using an individual Exclude filter for each IP address
  3. An 'Include IP' view, which I am trying to use to include traffic only from several IP addresses.
    The logic behind a view dedicated to internal IP addresses is as the site in question processes orders over the phone on behalf of customers through the website, which we want to track separately.

I have created 3 filters on my Include IP view, each with an Include IP 123.456.789 but it's not actually showing any traffic at all.

How do I create a view to show traffic only from several specific IP addresses, and no other traffic?

Re: Dedicated view for traffic from specific IP addresses

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Create an IP address Include filter using the custom option and then add the multiple IP addresses with regular expressions. See the below link for how to create the regular expressions for multiple IP addresses exclude or include filter.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I think my issue might be slightly deeper than I originally thought. I had set up a filter as you suggested to include only traffic from specific IP's.

Another view I have set up is to exclude traffic from those IPs. This is set up with multiple single exclude filters. However, the traffic that is supposed to be excluded is still showing in this view.

In the Include view, no traffic is showing at all.

What could be causing the filters to break? Could it be my company's servers re-routing IP's or could it just be something obvious I've done wrong in the setup of the filters?

I've just tested an exclude and an include filter for only my own IP address and it's still not working - The exclude filter is still showing me as traffic. What could be causing that?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Olly,

How are you getting your IP address? Have you used this - http://whatismyipaddress.com/ ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Syed, Yes, I've used my IP address from there and used that in a Custom Exclude Filter, e.g this is what I have put in the filter: 12\.34\.567\.89

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Try this - ^12\.34\.567\.89$ both for include and exclude. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Also, check if there's any other filter on the view. If there is, then remove all other filters from the view.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately still no success - see link below (with a dummy IP address in there for reference)

http://i.imgur.com/2U5TqOk.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You've a trailing (I) in there. Remove this. How does your include IP view look like?

To test include IP, go to the website and then check the real-time report in the include IP VIEW.

Also, do you have an unfiltered view for this property and does this contain any data?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Syed,
A trailing pipe (|)? I can't see that in my screen shot?

I have an unfiltered standard view which I leave untouched. I've added 2 additional views - 1 x include and 1 x exclude. There are no other filters or changes on any of the views other than these IP filters I'm trying to test.

Strangely my include filter on my IP address isn't showing me in the traffic. Even more confused!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, It might have been your mouse cursor. It seems strange to me too as I've a few website views for myself including and excluding internal. All of them have filters added like this and work fine. So I'm afraid I'm unable to help further without looking at your website code, GA property and views.