AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Data difference (displayed and calculated) on multilingual website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this is the right category to post this, but feel free to move it!

We have a multilingual website (brand.com/en, brand.com/fr, brand.com/de, etc.) with same Google Analytics ID but different views (All, EN, FR, DE).

The problem is this: we don't get same data when looking at the All level (all views) than when calculating the data at the view level. Let's take an example:

Users at All level: 7,000 (given by GA)

Users at EN+FR+DE=7400 (calculated)

An agency also created segments to replace the views in order to simplify the analysis.

So the segments are set-up with conditions to display data for every websites. But same problem here if we calculate the data separately (en + fr +de) we don't get the same figure given by GA for the segment ALL.

At first I thought that we had an issue with our segments, so I tested with the views and I noticed a similar problem. Is there an explanation to this ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

It sounds like filters are applied for the "all views" view that are affecting the reported total users. Double check the filters including IP filters, and the bots exclusions for each view. 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tomhalejr,

Thanks for your answer.

It is not filters but segments, they are applied with the following conditions: sessions/hostname/contain/"our domain name"

I checked the "all data" view but it doesn't contain any filter.

We have segments for the global view (every websites), per region (emea, apac, etc.) and per languages (en, fr, de, etc.).

The problem is the discrepency of our data, as I said above we don't get same results for the segment All than if we calculate the segments (en+fr+de).

Any idea?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Time lag.

With the level of detail you are parsing this data down to, you have to provide at least a 72 hour window. Your attribution loss is less than 10%... That is not bad. Smiley Happy

A couple more points within the data reporting window, and you are well within an acceptable margin of error.

That is not my only idea, but... Date range, and data lag are two variables to consider.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again. But I'm not sure to fully understand.

My segments have been set-up for a couple of months now, so why should I wait 72h? Are you sure this windows is applicable to segment?

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Well captain... Now I'm going to revert to who set all this up, and how...

Go back to before these filters/segments were created, and compare the data to an equivalent post-changes date range. 

If there is around or about a 10% difference, then you have your answer.

Tom