Analytics
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Data Not Matching Under Same Account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! 

So, my client and myself both have access to their Google Analytics account. However, when we both pull a Filtered View for the same exact timeframe, we end up pulling slightly different numbers. Does anyone have an explanation as to why this is happening? 

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Data Not Matching Under Same Account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jamie,

Three possibilities:

1. You are looking at different data views.
2. Your query has invoked sampling and you have adjusted the sampling threshold differently.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733979?hl=en

3. You are including today's data in the report timeframe.

okay a fourth...

4. One of you has a segment or filtered applied.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Depending on the filters you are using and if there is a secondary dimension in place, your data may be getting sampled. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en
I would make sure your report is set to run on Higher Precision and not fast processing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for responding. I don't have any segments selected and no where on the report does it say, "This report is based on N sessions". I think both my client and myself are doing the exact same thing, which is what's strange. We are pulling the same dates as well. I reviewed their Filter View settings and they should be the same as I have not adjusted anything within our shared account.

Could it be something related to IP addresses?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Jamie,

If you are looking at the exact same account, the exact same property and the exact same view; with a date range that does not include today and in the same way (filters segments) without sampling then there is no way that your data could be different.

GA data is not reprocessed and viewing the data from other IP's would not impact the information in any way.

In essence, if you are looking at the same locked Excel data sheet, the data remains the same and is not impacted by which machine you use to open and view it.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It seems like there isn't a simple answer, so we might need more information. If you don't mind me asking what filter(s) are you using?
There are filters in the Admin panel and filters on the report pages.
Are you filtering to include / exclude?
Are you filtering user/session based on some sort of type, such as mobile / GeoIP / returning?
And last what type of report are you looking at Audience / Acquisition / Behavior / Conversion?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I figured it out! Embarrassingly enough since you all provided such great feedback and support, but it was a miscommunication between myself and our client. Thank you very much!!!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
No worries.. happy analyzing. Smiley Happy

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn