Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Custom dimension configuration problem

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I have a little problem with custom dimensions that I hope someone can help solve.

We have a website, lets call it www.website.com and when the user logges in it switches to www.my.website.com. Tag manager is implementet with the same container ID and Universal Analytics Tag is the same across website an my.website. We have implementet a data layer on my.website only to pick up age, gender, etc. in custom dimensions.

When the user logges in, all the custom dimensions are filled with the correct data in GA, but when he logges out afterwards the information disappears and becomes "not set". My question is, how do I manage to store the custom dimension info on a user scope, so it still follows the user when he logges out of www.my.website and hits www.website?

The only idea I have is to split the Universal Analytics Tag into two: www.website and www.my.website and then link the data layer variables to custom dimensions on www.my.website only. Don't know if this will work or there is an easier way maybe?

Regards
Jonas

Custom dimension configuration problem

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

one solution I can think of is, post user logs out do not update the data layer elements.

and in GA keep the scope to user for custom dimensions.

Re: Custom dimension configuration problem

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Okay thanks, what would this take?

Cause right now datalayer is only implemented on www.my.website. Is the solution then to implement it on open pages (www.website) as well and then somehow store the information in the datalayer after the user logges out? What if the user visits www.website next day without login in, will the datalayer still be filled with age, gender data and so on from when the user was logged in a day ago? Does this mean that we need to store it in a cookie? I'm an analyst, not a developer as you may have guessed Smiley Happy

I would still prefer not having to implement the data layer on open pages, cause it will take time due to company security restrictions. So any solution that does not involve more coding will be prefered.. Would like to solve this with GTM/GA if possible.

Thank you

Re: Custom dimension configuration problem

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

::: Update :::

Solved by splitting the Universal tag in two and (by hostname). One to target the www.my.website (behind login) pages and one for the www.website. open pages. The custom dimensions was then only added to the m.website tag.