Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimension with User Scope not triggerring for subsequent hits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a custom dimension set like this:

CustomDimension.PNG

I set the value of the custom dimension and send it, with a click event. 

Send.PNG

And I have a view which uses the custom dimension value to filter the events. 

The problem is that the custom dimension is being sent only for the event where it is being sent. I have set the scope as user. So I'm expecting it to be sent with all subsequent hits. 

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Per my understanding, it won't be sent with each hit.

At the reporting end it will be considered for user scope.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with A T's response .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. My requirement is to filter the hits based on the value of a DOM element in the website (this value is present in the session too). Any idea how to do this ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Let me see. Since it's a custom dimension with "User" level scope, the value is assigned when a user triggers your event for the first time. The value remains the same for the particular user until he/she triggers the event again at some point. If the value is different this time, your custom dimension gets updated with the new value. So on and so forth. (I'm assuming this value is what you're extracting from your DOM element).

Once the value is assigned, you could always create filters for your hits using this custom dimension - from your reports (Advanced filter) as well as from your Admin area (Filter configuration).

I hope I understood your question correctly and that this answers your question.

KK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a default view and a custom view. I'm adding a filter in the custom view (through the admin page filter configuration), to filter the hits based on the custom dimension. The custom view should display a hit only if the value of the custom dimension matches a particular value. When I trigger the event which sets the custom dimension, this works perfectly. But for other events, its not working.

When you say "Once the value is assigned, you could always create filters for your hits using this custom dimension", do you mean all the hits for the website or hit for that particular event only ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Anjali,

I do mean that all the hits for the website are filtered based on the custom dimension, because your custom dimension is set to "User" level scope.

Would you be able to send a screenshot of your filter's configuration as well as the report in which the filter is not working?

KK

Re: Custom Dimension with User Scope not triggerring for subsequent hits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Karthik,

Its not a report. I'm using the filter in a view. In the fig below, "All Web Site Data" is the default view. I have a custom view called "Dealer1".

Capture.PNG

I select the view "Dealer1" and add a filter to it as follows:

Capture.PNG

"Preferred Dealer" in the filter field, is my custom dimension. It has user scope. 

In the tag manager, I have some tags which are triggered for certain events. There is a tag in which the value of the custom dimension is set. I'm setting it as "Dealer1", for testing.

In the above filter, I have specified that the hits with custom dimension value of "Dealer1" should be filtered and included in my custom view(Dealer1). 

Whats happening is that, when i trigger the event which sets the custom dimension value as "Dealer1", that event is shown in my custom view (Dealer1). The hits after that are not shown. They are coming in the main view only. I'm checking this in the "Events" option under REAL-TIME.

Since my custom dimension has user scope, once I set the value, I'm expecting the rest of the hits also to have that  value and be filtered in the view.

Many Thanks,

Anjali

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry about the first sentence. Its a report in another view. Just realized that the "Events" in RealTime is a report. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Anjali,

Thanks for the screenshots and for the clarifications. Your configuration looks flawless.

The only assumption I could come to is that your real time report is not showing the ensuing events, because GA's real time API doesn't support custom dimensions. Here's a stack overflow thread on this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26150529/google-analytics-real-time-reporting-api-and-filtering-b...

Of course the API is for developing third party applications, but I'm not sure if that also implies that GA doesn't apply custom dimension filters in the real time reports within your Google Analytics interface. Maybe some of the experts here could confirm this.

To check it for yourself, are you able to see proper data (the triggering event as well as the ensuing events) in your core reports (For example, the "top events" report or the "events flow" report)?

Please keep us posted.

KK