Analytics
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a site that has a login form on different domain. We have a.com and when the user clicks on Login he's redirected to a.net, but a.net is loading the header and the footer from a.com. The only time when the users load a.net is when they have to input their User and Pass to login. 

So I am not sure if i need cross domain tracking implementation, because, when i add it there was no difference in the data. Without the Cross domain tracking the Client ID is preserved when the users leaves a.com and goes to a.net and vice versa. 

Also I have strange issue. I've added the a.com and a.net domains in the Exclude referrals list in the Admin of Analytics, but still got some referral traffic from a.com? 

Also is saw increase in direct traffic after adding a.com and a.net in the Referral exclusion list.

Thanks in advance for the ideas Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kristian,

If the user always has a presence on a.com (header and footer) and the client ID persists the question of whether you need cross domain has to do more with what happens in that scenario and are you then able to distinguish actual pageviews and the users journey through that framed process.   A key question is whether or not you can attribute conversions to the proper sources and if you have enough data to optimize the funnel.

Adding a domain to the referral exclusion simply changes the traffic to direct so I'm not surprised that you had a bump in direct traffic.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I understood correctly you think that we do not need cross domain tracking. We made the setup and now we can see the a.net page views in Analytics. Before that, they were counted as referral traffic. 

One more issue came up while integrating the cross domain tracking. We use Tag manager to implement all snippets, but when we inject the GA snippet with GTM, the cross domain tracking does not work! We tried to hardcode it and the cross domain tracking started working. And just to clarify we did all the recommended settings in the GTM following the Google official help and also used the tutorials by Lunametrics and Simo Ahava Smiley Happy They are pretty much the same, but nothing worked for us, so now we use GTM to inject snippets on the site, except the GA snippet!