Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Creating Filters to Track Subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just tried something from another post, but the filter verification said it wouldn't have changed the data. Here is the landing page:

^try\.4jointz\.com$

and the main domain:

^www\.4jointz\.com$

any help please?

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
What is it you are trying to track?
The filter verification is only an indicator, its not always a good indicator.

If you are trying to just include data in a View for the subdomain then a predefined filter

for the hostname equal to try.4jointz.com should do the trick. A regex shouldnt be necessary

If you are then also wanting to use a regex to represent the homepage for a goal step for instance,

usually the pages reports etc only report the Request URI, so unless you are using a filter to change 

the behaviour of how that dimension is shown in reports then a regex for the homepage would usally be

^/$ as the single / is often how the homepage is tracked within in the reports

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi thanks for the reply. I tried just using the URL for the LP without regex but it didn't seem to work. However, i didn't set it to "equal". I set it to "contains". Does that matter?

I'm just trying to split them apart so I can view the traffic to each separately. The homepage (main domain) doesn't link to the LP. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brian G
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

hi Brian,

you may choose either

Predefined filter > Include only traffic to the hostname that are equal to:   try.4jointz.com

or (which I'd refer)

Custom filter > Include Request URI:   ^try\.4jointz\.com$

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanx Christoph, 

I've setup both of these, each in a separate new view that I created. I'll report back shortly. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Brian Smiley Happy

I did just the same thing a few days back to track only our landing pages hosted on our sub-domain.

And I was able to do it.

Here's how I did.

Create a predefined filter to include only traffic to the hostname that begins with my subdomain URL.

Done.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian, 

Do you know of a way to do this so that I can create a view that only looks at stats on our blog subdomain. Our account is setup so that all of our subdomains are part of our global account. This includes our root domain, blog pages, marketo pages, and a couple of other subdomains. When I setup a filter as you described, I am able to drill into our blog visitors however, it is showing me all of the pages they visited on our other domains as well. Basically I want to ONLY look at trends on our blog in one view and use our global account to connect the dots across our various domains. 

Is there a way to do this using filters or should i setup a completely separate account for the blog and track it separately? The URL convention on our blog does not make it so i can filter by URL....there is no /blog/ folder or anything like that.