Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Create paid and organic segment in GA

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'd like to create a custom segment to capture two traffic mediums and exclude all others. 

The two traffic mediums:

1. medium=cpc
  2. medium=organic

Basically I want to see traffic that comes through Google Adwords, Bing Ads (i'm tagging with utm_medium=cpc) plus organic search traffic from Google, Yahoo, Bing  and possibly some minor engines. 

I've double checked that my paid traffic all has medium=cpc and my organic traffic all has medium=organic assigned. They do, no problems there.

I tried setting up a custom segment using Custom Segment>Traffic Sources>Medium>Matches REGEX>cpc | organic  That resulted in 0% of my traffic being returned. I tried both users and sessions.

Has anyone ever been able to set up a segment to capture either any two mediums of traffic? Maybe you got medium=email and medium=direct instead of what I'm looking for, but you have the REGEX that works in this context.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben B
October 2016

Re: Create paid and organic segment in GA

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ben,

using a user / session segment where a single condition is:
Include Medium Regex cpc|organic

Should definately do the trick - check the regex in acqusition reports - if it still does not return results > 0 then check how the traffic is tagged, typos in regex or similar.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Create paid and organic segment in GA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That worked. My problem was I was putting spaces.

REGEX  cpc | organic. Your cpc|organic worked perfectly. Thanks!