AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Create a view for only logged-in user traffic using filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I'm working with a client to create a view in their Google Analytics account that only tracks user behavior on their logged-in pages. 

1. Most of their logged-in pages fall under the directory of /admin/ so that filter is already in place.

2. Many of the remaining pages contain similar URL structures: "learn_lesson_room.php?lessonid=3&day=1" and "/lesson_exam.php?lessonid=3&day=1" -- as you can see these URLS include either learn_lesson_room.php or lesson_exam.php in the URL structure. I'd like to create a filter that looks for these peices in the URL and includes them in this View.

3. There are a few remaining URLs that need to be included in this view. I would like to setup another filter that includes traffic to a list of pages including "/freetrial_landing.php" and "/freetrial_landing1.php" -- would hopefully be able to add URLs to this filter at will. 

I'm having trouble with the correct settings or lookup code structure to get my filters working in this manner. I'd really, truly appreciate any insight that can be given by the community to get this solved.

Thanks

Brandon Whalen

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Create a view for only logged-in user traffic using filters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brandon,

You can set up a custom include Request URI filter with a regular expression like this:

^/(admin|learn_lesson_room|lesson_exam|freetrial_landing).+

Let me know if it works.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold! I will try this and report back to you on the results.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So here is the filter I applied in a custom include Request URL filter:

^/(admin|learn_lesson_room|lesson_exam|freetrial_landing|transaction_success|transaction_success1).+

The filter seems to only be showing pages from the /admin/ folder of the website. I've pasted the results from the filter verification in this Google Doc here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z1lsnS-cciqMFX4PdCiaUxx-kc_8ga0wxn6Wu58SA8k/edit?usp=sharing

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Brandon,

Did you try to apply the filter to a test view? It seems that the sample data used by the verify tool does not contain any of the other URIs to be included.

You can check the regex by entering it into the search field in Behavior -> Site Content -> All Pages

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital