AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Count number of downloads and filter internal users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wanna filter in my website of how many times a file was downloaded and add a filter that shows how many visits in the website is from a internal users group. How can I do this?

Re: Count number of downloads and filter internal users

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
How are you tracking these items? Without knowing that, it's hard to provide an answer.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, analytics is a new tool for me, so I don't know how I can start. Am I suppose to insert some code in my webpages or I can just change my settings on analytics?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, these are two very different things you are trying to accomplish so I'm going to respond separately in the next two posts so there is no confusion. Just give me a few minutes for each one.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Separating Internal Users from external users

Assumptions:

• You are trying to separate 'customer' traffic from company traffic (this is fairly standard)
  • You actually want to measure the company traffic as well as customer traffic (most companies don't bother measuring internal traffic)

Concept of what you are doing:

• Creating multiple views of the same website based on the same 'hits'

How you are doing it:

• Creating 'destructive' filters that populate the views

It's important to understand that the filters at the property level are 'destructive'. Basically, that means any data that isn't used by one of the views is lost and gone forever. For this reason, it's important to maintain the original view of the property that you have now.

In short, you want to create two new views. One for the internal user traffic and one for the customer traffic. Next, you want to create two 'view filters'. One filter includes the IP address of your company. One filter excludes the IP address of your company. Apply one filter to a new view and the other filter to the other new view. Now you've separated internal and external traffic.

Never add a filter to the original view.

Click here for precise instructions

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

File Downloads

Based on your earlier response, I'm going to assume that you don't have event tracking implemented. To track your downloads you'll need to modify your tracking code.

I've never set it up, so if you need help with that then you'll have to post a request in the implementation portion.

Once it's set up, build a custom report, add the event dimensions, add the 'hits' metric, and then use the report filter to include only the data that you need.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, thank you soo much, I'll try this, then I reply