Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Content grouping pages also appearing in "not set"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've created content groups for our unique lines of business, adding each business unit's relevant pages.  However, when I run Behavior reports, the same pages appear under the content group pageviews AND in the "not set" pageviews.  Why are they in both places??

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Content grouping pages also appearing in "not set"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pete,

That's very odd. That doesn't sound right. The Content Groupings reports all, I believe, have the same pages, all unique, just grouped in different ways. So if you look at one content group, the number of pages should be the same. So I think you can not have a page in one group as well as the "not set" group. Are you sure they're the same page?
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, just checked, they are the same page in both areas. Have screen shots but can't seem to paste or insert them here...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Pete, to include screenshots, just reply to this post, and then select "FULL REPLY EDITOR" just below the "Cancel" and "Post" buttons.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pete S
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi, Pete,

Just another update! I do believe now that you can have a specific page in two different groups, however this would only happen if you had later modified your CGs at a later time (ie. by adding a new group, or removing, or redefining). I noticed this as well in one of my reports, and it was because I added a new group later one. If you check the date ranges for the page in question in "not set" you will see that it goes from date A to date B, but if you check for it in the specific CG, then you should see that it goes from date B to date C, so no overlap.

This is what I was referring to in that one page can't be in two groups... well, across a wide date range, then yes, but only because the groups were modified.

Does that make sense? Hope it helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One other issue I see...this page below is in the "not set" group:

/solution/avaya-certified-wallboards-and-dashboards?pi_ad_id=87620708218

this page is in the correct group:

/solution/avaya-certified-wallboards-and-dashboards

What's up? What's the appendage ?pi_ad_id=87620708218 doing there? Seems like that's what kicked it into the "not set" catagory. How can I prevent that?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Pete,

That may have something to do with AdWords (I'm not entirely sure), but you can "exclude" those in your GA settings, under "Exclude URL Query Parameters" in the View Settings.

Note that this is not retroactive, so you should only base your reports from the day you exclude that parameter, going forwards. Alternatively, you could also try to adjust your CGs to take query parameters into account, but this may require you to use regex matching patterns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Nicky. Do you know if they are pageviews? I've added them in to the similar page counts, since the number was much higher than the same page without the appendage.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi, Pete, yes, they would be pageviews. Only pageviews show up in the Content Groupings.