AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Content Grouping 'not set'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, so I have created a Content Gouping using the Rules Definitions method and I can see a bunch of pages appearing in the Behavior/Site Content/All Pages reports. However, they appear as 'Not Set'.

My understanding is that you need to use the Tracking Code method to fix this.

My questions:

• Does it matter whether or not they are 'set' or 'not set'?
  • What additional value does having them set offer?
  • Is the Content Group diminished in any way by having them 'not set'?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Content Grouping 'not set'

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Murray,

Not Set means that they are not in that group. That is, if you drill into a group you will usually always see "not set" for some pages as that value gives you a context for the amount of pages that are not in the group. You'll notice on the scorecard that your pageview counts are consistent as you go into and out of the groups and not set is simply the number of pageview, etc that occurred outside the current group.

Hope that helps,

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks for the response Theo.

OK, so this confirms my fears (ie. that none of the pages I have tried to add via rule definitions are being added to the group). Any ideas on how I should best go about testing/fixing this? I kind of need some 'troubleshooting' forum/content on how to determine WHY they are not being added and HOW to fix it?

Murray

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Murray,

Post the pattern you are using and the grouping method and the path of the pages for one of your groups and I'll give you some feedback.

Edit:  Also, just in case you didn't know: content grouping does not work on historical data, it's a new dimension that is set and only works AFTER you create them.  In other words if I create a group today and look at May 2016 data, all would be "not set".

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn