AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Confused about (not set) in Content Groups

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am starting to look into Content Groups and am perplexed as to why (not set) shows up in the reporting when I select  Behavior > Site Content > All Pages > Primary Dimension > Content Grouping: My Content Group

I understand that this represents all of the pages that don't match a content group. From the documentation "(not set) is the collection of pages that are not assigned to any group." But my question is why show this here?

I don't care about the other pages on the site when I am looking for information about a content group. So when I select a secondary dimension, like Device Category I get

(not set) - Desktop

(not set) - Mobile

(not set) - Tablet

My Content Group - Desktop

My Content Group - Mobile

My Content Group - Tablet

Huh?

How does this help me quickly analyze and prepare reports about the content group I created? What I am missing here?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erik B
June 2016

Re: Confused about (not set) in Content Groups

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Erik.

It's a "Feature". Smiley Happy Basically the idea is to show you how large the whole pie (all pages) is in relation to the slice (content group) that you are exploring at the time. You can do an advanced filter, exclude "not set" and save it as a shortcut.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erik B
June 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Erik.

It's a "Feature". Smiley Happy Basically the idea is to show you how large the whole pie (all pages) is in relation to the slice (content group) that you are exploring at the time. You can do an advanced filter, exclude "not set" and save it as a shortcut.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theo. I guess that makes sense then. Just seems a little counterintuitive to spend 5-6 clicks drilling down to something so specific just to have it as part of a large group. Good tip about excluding it in an advanced filter.