Analytics
1.1K members online now
1.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Cleaning out Page Titles and Page URLS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a good and efficient solution to clean & simplify my reports data for easy reading. What interests me is simply to understand how each website page is performing in the behaviour / all pages report.  

Currently, I've got a very messy report both in "Page Title" title dimension with spam as page names such as AliBestSale.com and other duplicate page titles such as "Home page" and Home Page" (with a capital P") and many other things making it impossible to read & understand.

On the "page" dimension, it’s even worse, many very complicated URLs I have not a clue about which page they represent...

I've read about filters and a few ways they can be used such as find & replace to change URL names or Excluding or Including only the actual Pages of my website.

Before I do anything, I wanted to get advice on what would a good method to clean up & simply my reports with filters ?

Thank you,

Alexandre

Re: Cleaning out Page Titles and Page URLS

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alexandre,

You can use for example https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages and set Page Title in this page "What You Want".

Or you can use view filters and change page title : uppercase or lowercase
Look here 
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en

I think is good method, but remember that for SEO will be the best when you will be have only one version, and other version will redirect to original.

SH

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Alexandre,

I am more or less new to Google Analytics (GA) , but as far as I know there are different ways to apply filters. For an example in GA: in (a) your configuration and in (b) your reporting. You'll probably end up making a combination of filters, based on your personal needs.

Possible solutions are:

Capture.JPG

Warning:
Applying filters in your configuration will not change your historical data, but it will change the data you gather from the moment you apply a filter and onwards. So it's not an instant fix. Once it has been processed it can't be changed, so it is advisable to create a test environment as mentioned in one of the "Digital Analytics Fundamentals" courses and test your filter before you apply them on your "master data". Furthermore, I imagine that a hostname filter will disable the measurement protocol option.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Jan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Seba,

Thanks for the links. The video tutorial was helpful to get a better idea.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Alexandre B

If my links help you. You can give me a star, it will be nice for me Smiley Happy 

Thanks and no problem.

Take care

SH