Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Channel vs filter: what is better, what are the differences, what should be used?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My current task was to create permanent possibilities to display organic traffic for subfolders on different nesting levels, with and without trailing slash, with and without file endings, like .html, .php etc.

After i realized, that the advanced segment will not do the job because of it is session-based (my task is page-based), i finally accomplished it with creating advanced regex filters and permanent linking them with shortcuts. On working with filters i was able to get only organic traffic into my view after i added secondary dimension and filtered it.

After the job was completely done i've stumbled upon channels, where i would be able to make the same.

And now the question: what would you use for the purpose i described, and why? What are the pros and contras of filter vs. channels? It looks for me, like the possibilities would be pretty the same...

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Evgeniy O
July 2016

Re: Channel vs filter: what is better, what are the differences, what should be used?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Channels are shareable automatically across the view whereas advanced filter are report-based and shortcuts are user-based and not shareable.
So it boils down to usability.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan