AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Changing Filters in a View

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've taken over management of analytics for my organisation and there are a number of historical views that have been set up that I'm auditing. For a few of them, there was a change in url and the filter has not been updated, meaning there's been no data pushed through in that time.

If I update the filter, will the analytics data only pull through from the date that I make the amendment (common sense tells me yes and that it won't automatically amend to pull through data from day zero) and also, should I amend the filter, will I 'lose' any historical data (ie. from when the url was 'correct') - again, I think yes, this will probably happen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Filters are applied to incoming hits, so they work only going forward, they are not affecting historical data. It can take up to 24 hours before you can see the effects of a newly created or changed filter. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Arnold - it's good to know I'll retain the previous data.

Best.