Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Cannot Save Filter Changes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm having difficulty saving filter changes.  I confirmed I have manager/editor permissions for all views.  I cannot seem to save any filter changes, and clicking the "Back" button discards changes.  The step-by-step guide from Google clearly indicates there should be a "Save" button, but I cannot locate it.

Here is a screenshot:

FilterAm I going crazy?

Thank you,

Ryan

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cannot Save Filter Changes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
UPDATE:

I cannot access "User Management" at the Account level - I'm thinking perhaps I have user permission at the View level, but not for the Account itself. Therefore, I can only manage filters but can't create them.

In any case, I located a filter created by someone else. I've attached a screenshot below:

http://i.imgur.com/z1352Nh.png

However, this filter doesn't seem to be working. Most of our traffic involves a high bounce rate and we believe the subdomain is skewing the data. Is there a way to confirm the filter is working properly?

Thanks,

Ryan

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Ryan,

You have to have edit access on the account level to create filters. The screenshot you have here should exclude any hits with the hostname of pro.iwave.com. I would instead recommend creating an include filter for your hostname. That is if your site is example.com; then create a filter that includes traffic from example\.com hostname.

Always test new filters in a testing view, make sure you get the desired results then use the filter tool on the account level to apply the tested and vetted filter to the analysis views.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thanks for your advice.

I see that a previous editor created a filter that sounds very similar to
what you're describing. I've included it here:

http://i.imgur.com/xVlCSes.png

However, the "Filter Pattern" text seems off to me, especially considering
what you recommended. Could this be what's causing issues for us?

Also, just for my learning: why is an "include" filter better than an
"exclude" filter in this case? Thanks.

Ryan

--
Ryan McCarvill

Marketing Coordinator

+1 800.655.7729 *|* +1 902.894.2621 - 24 <%2B1%20902.367.4243> | *www.iwave.com

[image:
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/1865087/profile]

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Ryan,

Custom filters are regex therefore the dots are escaped with a slash so instead of example.com you use example\.com GA corrects for this but I still do it - always. so pro\.iwave\.com is correct. The include filter you have here is a shortcut of saying include www.iwave.com or iwave.com. If you have this on the same view you should not need to exclude pro.iwave.com.

You can see what hosts you are collecting by going to Audience>>Technology>>Network and then changing your primary dimension to hostname.

Include filters specify what you want included in your dataset. This is your first line of defense against referral spam. By specifying what you want in your data you eliminate a lot of stray garbage that is pushed indiscriminately via the measurement protocol.

You should also ALWAYS also have an unfiltered view of your data.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn