Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Can't get filter to block my own IP address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've been trying to create a filter to block my own IP address, but it's not working. I've tried:

Predefined > Exclude, Traffic from the IP addresses, that are equal to

and

Custom > Exclude, IP address

but neither seems to work. For both of these I've tried entering my IP address as-is, and also as a regular expression. For all these attempts I've tried leaving it for a day to see if it takes a while for the filter to kick in. But it never kicks in. Please help.

Thanks,

Sarah

Re: Can't get filter to block my own IP address

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
First of all IP filter isn't retrospective.
So when you apply filter to the view it will only filter future traffic.
You can use predefined filter and enter your IP address without regular expression.

This is an example configuration:

Filter Type: Predefined
Exclude traffic from the IP addresses that are equal to 123.123.123.123

Next go to Real-Time > Content report then open your website and check if you see your own traffic.

You can eventually wait a few minutes before checking real-time report.

Are you sure you have a static IP address?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thanks so much for your reply.

I do know that the filters aren't retrospective, so when I'm checking to see if my filter works I always go to the Real-Time traffic page and then open up my website in a different tab. And as soon as I open up my website, a bubble with my location always immediately appears on the real-time GA map. I've tried waiting many hours and checking again, but the same thing still happens.

I'm pretty sure I have a static IP address, because also I use the Slimstat plugin in Wordpress to look at my traffic, and it always shows me as visiting my own site with the same IP address.

I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. This seems like it should be incredibly simple. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

IP filter should work almost immediately in real-time report so you probably have  some misconfiguration.

Below is a screenshot of example working configuration.

And make sure your IP address is correct (you can use this website to check your ip: https://www.whatismyip.com/ )

exclude-my-ip-filter.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thanks for this. I finally realized that I seem to have both a regular-looking IP address like the one you show in your screenshot, and an IPv6 (which is much longer and more complex-looking, with a lot of letters and colons in it). I had been trying to filter out the regular-looking one, but when I added an additional filter with the IPv6, that seemed to do the trick, at least so far.
Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
oh ty ive been pulling my hair out fussing with this idk what google has changed recently coz i always would use my ip in filters and not this subnet number i think it is anyways thanks again !