Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Can I use wildcards in "Exclude URL Query Parameters"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using Wufoo URL parameter passing and therefore have a bunch of URL Query Parameters that start with "field" (eg. "field100", "field213", etc).  Can I use wildcards in "Exclude URL Query Parameters" to exclude all URL query parameters starting with "field"?  Should I be using filters?  Some other method?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I use wildcards in "Exclude URL Query Parameters"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andrew D,

As far as I know, I don't think you can use wildcards. Best to try it out though.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
^field doesn't seem to work - Do I have the wrong syntax?

If this isn't possible via "Exclude URL Query Parameters", is there a different method I can use?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You could try to filter out your query parameters by setting up a filter. There's a great instructional here if you're interested. Note that I have not tried this out before, so test thoroughly: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/04/17/strip-query-parameters-google-analytics/
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I was able to implement the required filter in 3 steps:
(field...=[^&]*&?)
(field....=[^&]*&?)
([?&]$)

Is there any way to combine the first 2 filters so "field" can be followed by a number comprised of an unknown number of digits? Currently I am searching for 3 digit numbers and then 4 digit numbers.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi, I'm not sure sure how you've configured your filters, but to answer your question, you can do something like this:

field[0-9]{3,4}=[^&]*&?

This will filter by the word "field" followed by either 3 or 4 digits only.