AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce rate at 0% after set up of spam filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have been using a spam filter within our Analytics accounts, but for some reason it is showing the bounce rate as 0% and I know this can't possibly be right. 

One of the filter options that has been included is: exclude Bounces > 0 which I think may be causing the issue.

Can anyone help?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emma,

I'm just reply on what you mentioned in your query. If bounce>0 excluded that means all the bounces greater than zero won't show that could be the reason. Remove the condition and check.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Emma! I would like to know why you wanted to apply the filter 'exclude bounces > 0' in the first place? Remember that a bounce isn't always a bad thing. This article explains it quite clearly: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/what-you-can-learn-from-bounce-rate-how-to-improve-it/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - I think the problem actually is is that this has been set up as a segment rather than a filter. I'm going to delete the segment and apply a proper spam filter instead. It's a historic client and this is way they have always filtered their data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - yeah I'm aware of that - I think the problem actually is is that this has been set up as a segment rather than a filter. I'm going to delete the segment and apply a proper spam filter instead. It's a historic client and this is way they have always filtered their data.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I see Smiley Happy btw. this is a great anti spam referral filter approach to consider: https://moz.com/blog/stop-ghost-spam-in-google-analytics-with-one-filter 

Good luck!