Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce rate at 0% after set up of spam filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have been using a spam filter within our Analytics accounts, but for some reason it is showing the bounce rate as 0% and I know this can't possibly be right. 

One of the filter options that has been included is: exclude Bounces > 0 which I think may be causing the issue.

Can anyone help?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Emma,

I'm just reply on what you mentioned in your query. If bounce>0 excluded that means all the bounces greater than zero won't show that could be the reason. Remove the condition and check.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Emma! I would like to know why you wanted to apply the filter 'exclude bounces > 0' in the first place? Remember that a bounce isn't always a bad thing. This article explains it quite clearly: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/what-you-can-learn-from-bounce-rate-how-to-improve-it/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - I think the problem actually is is that this has been set up as a segment rather than a filter. I'm going to delete the segment and apply a proper spam filter instead. It's a historic client and this is way they have always filtered their data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - yeah I'm aware of that - I think the problem actually is is that this has been set up as a segment rather than a filter. I'm going to delete the segment and apply a proper spam filter instead. It's a historic client and this is way they have always filtered their data.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I see Smiley Happy btw. this is a great anti spam referral filter approach to consider: https://moz.com/blog/stop-ghost-spam-in-google-analytics-with-one-filter 

Good luck!