Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Blocking traffic from one country.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site is being hit daily with spam traffic from ghost referrals originating mostly from Russia. I've been dealing with this for 2+ years and do use segments and exclusions. But it's a lot of work to stay on top of it. Since 99.99% of the traffic from Russia is junk and it's not a market that really performs for me on other social platforms, I'm willing to take the collateral damage and block ALL traffic from that country.

I don't need the ghost spam segment link (which I'm using!) or assistance with using referral exclusions (which I'm also using!), please let me know how I can completely remove a country from my analytics?

Thanks!

Re: Blocking traffic from one country.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nevermind! I figured it out on my own! Smiley Happy

Re: Blocking traffic from one country.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dorian,

Excluding the country from Google Analytics will not actually do anything as Ghost Referrals don't actually visit your site but rather use Measurement Protocol to trick Google into thinking there was a visit (hence Ghost).

Your best advice would be to use one of the options at https://plus.google.com/+StephaneHamel-immeria/posts/WXdZAEe9Qb5 to completely remove the spam in addition to a hostname filter to remove spam located under Audience > Technology > Network > Hostname Tab.

If there is any left over Russian visits you do not want then I suggest blocking Russia from visiting your site all together (not just your Analytics), if you are using Wordpress you can use a plugin like WordFence to block any country from sing any content on your site.