AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Blocking WebPageTest visits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
 Blocking WebPageTest IP Addresses
===================================

Hi - I would like to prevent my sites' visitor counts to exclude hits from the tester machines at WebPageTest.org in Dulles. I'm trying to use an IP Address exclude filter to do that. Is there a better way?

Anyway, the IP addresses that I need to block for this purpose are
1) the single addredd 192.168.102.82
2) all addresses in the range that includes 192.168.101

Here's the regex expression that I have been attempting to use, but it does not filter out the desired test machine visits:

^192\.168\.102\.82$|^192\.168\.101.*$

Also I have attached a photo with a screen shot of the filter settings.

filterSettings.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Blocking WebPageTest visits

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tim :-)
Regex can be a little confusing/frustrating at times.
Definitely not one of my strong points.
Either of the following Regexs should work 

^192\.168\.(101\.[0-9]{1,3}|102\.82)$

^192\.168\.(101\..*|102\.82)$

They seemed to work when i ran them thru a regex tester

Keep in mind.. do not apply the filter to your initial reporting View

- To prevent loss of data incase the filter doesn't work as expected, if you don't

already have a Master reporting View created, create a new View for filtered reporting purposes
- Filters are not retroactive, so they wont work to remove historical data that has already been collected.
- Once a filter has been applied to a View, changes can take up to two hours to flow thru to the real time reporting
and up to 48hrs to show changes in the standard reporting.

If you have further questions pls post back :-)

Thanks

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi -

Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate your trying to help!

I entered the second one - ^192\.168\.(101\..*|102\.82)$ - at 6:30 (Pacific) and now it's 6PM (Pacific) - twelve hours later - and the real-time reporting is still seeing the visits by webpagetest, e.g., from 192.168.101.191

The regex string is correct... so why isn't the filter working, I wonder?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If its an internal IP then that could be the issue.
When you are on one of the tester machines and visit google.com in the browser
and type what is my ip into the google search box, it should return a public IP address, this
is the ip address that needs to be blocked.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
do the visitors from WebPageTest.org show up as referral traffic?
Is so, you could use a filter and filter all visits from campaign source WebPageTest.org

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I think I'm not making myself clear. I'm not "on" one of the tester machines, I'm using a web interface at webpagetest.org to set up tests that are then run on randomly selected machines at that service.

You're right, though, those DO look like internal IP addresses. I don't think I can get them to give me any other IP addresses. Arrgghh.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
No, they don't unfortunately.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Clutching at straws here..
what if you were to use a predefined filter
In all my years of using GA, Ive not ever used the following filter so not sure if it wil help you
Exclude/Include only traffic from the ISP domain: use this filter to exclude/include only traffic from a specific domain, such as an ISP or company network.
When specifying the domain name, do not include the host server label (e.g., specify example.com, not www.example.com).

Wondering if Custom Dimensions would be helpful to you in some way.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
trying webpagetest.org in that manner did not work, but thanks for trying to help me!