Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Block spam visits from overseas

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping to block spam email inquiries (99% of which come from a few overseas nations). 

Can creating filters to exclude visitor data from overseas stop our Analytics Account recording these visitors and their spam email as goals? 

(I realize we'll still receive the spam - my hope is that they won't show up in our statistics). 

Cheers Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Michael,

You can exclude traffic from overseas nation by creating filter. Please check below post

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Filters/How-can-i-exclude-traffic-form-ce...

** For more than one country you need to use pipe (|). E.g Germany|Australia|Canada ***

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Not sure I understand...

You are talking about "spam email" and creating filters in GA... there is no connection between email and GA.

If you receive spam in your email inbox, you need to look for the appropriate tools which can filter spam in your email inbox (and this depends on your email provider and the tool you use). For GMail, you can create individual filter rules or set them at the organizational level.

If you receive spam through email because people fill out a web form, tighten the validation on the form itself and consider using reCAPTCHA by Google.

And finally, if you see spammy data in GA, you can set up filters as Santosh suggested. Those can be based on countries, but it will filter all traffic... maybe a better way would be to identify the unique part of the URL + country which indicate it is a spammy hit. Don't forget to keep a view for "raw/unfiltered data"... just in case Smiley Wink

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Santosh,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will most certainly begin using this filter. 

Kindest Regards Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Stephen,

I understand filters in GA will not block spam emails.

What I wish to block is my GA account registering events(goals, traffic, etc) from the spam. Spam registering as completed events will smear our data. 

We have no ability to reach or service overseas nations so we won't be missing opportunities by blocking them entirely.

And yes, I'll always keep an unfiltered view.

Thanks for your advice.

Kind Regards

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

If, indeed, those regions do not represent any business value for you, it is reasonable to filter them out completely.

For example, I often have clients who do business only in the US, or only in Canada. When they look at their stats they get all excited... but when we filter out other countries their stats falls significantly (sessions, pageviews, etc.) but magically, their bounce rate improve, and the conversion rates are much better Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Stephen, 

I'm in a similar situation. I think I hope to see the same improvement.

Cheers