Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Best way to filter out mobile IP addresses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking for guidance on the best way to detect and block specific IP addresses for mobile devices used by internal staff.  Does anyone here have any recommendations on how to exclude these IPs?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best way to filter out mobile IP addresses

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Susan,

I would rather have a custom dimension as a filter which would be set on all internal user devices. Basically all of the employees would have to visit a specific page on the site where a cookie would be placed (no expiration date) which would say this session is from internal staff and you can use that value with a view filter.

Other than that if users connect inside the office using your network no specific additional setup should be needed if you already exclude the entire internal network.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much, Zorin! I am assuming I will need to create Custom Dimensions for each view where I am implementing this method, correct? Should this be a user-level Custom Dimension?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Susan,

Custom dimensions are created on the property level so you will have to define only once for each property. User scope will be most appropriate.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net