AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Avg Session Duration ≥ 1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have problem with old SPAM values and some unknown stats from website (download files, search phrases, etc.). http://s18.postimg.org/3mx384eax/image.jpg

Unfortunately I dont have time to solve it now. Now I only need the most accurate statistics.

Can I use following filter? If I set Session Duration ≥ 1?  It is possible that this will affect the other data?

http://s16.postimg.org/jyn8u4g79/GA2.png

Thanks,

LN

Re: Avg Session Duration ≥ 1

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you set that filter then anything outside of the filter rule moving forward will not be collected - no historical data will be affected, and you cannot recollect the data not collected moving forward - is that what you are trying to achieve?

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,
in picture 1 you can see values, which have "Pageviews 1 or 2 or 11..." and "Avg. Time on Page: 00:00:00". These values are not possible, right? So is it better to filter them out... ?

If yes, can I use the filter which you can see in picture 2? Will the remaining data still be valuable?

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ladislav N

OK on a closer look I see what you are saying more clearly.

so you are looking at your landing pages report and seeing a lot of traffic that has a single page view and 0 time on site and thing about filtering based on page views etc.

Can you take another angle on it and have a look and see the source of this traffic - add it as a secondary dimension - my hunch is that you will see that most of it is referral source.

if you go across to Acquisition>Referral you will likely see that there are a lot of sources that are bringing you similarly behave 'traffic' - this is referral spam - are you familiar with it?

basically fake traffic to your site that usually has a 100% bounce rate which = 1 page view and spends 0 seconds on your site.

It can actually be a considerable issue/source of referral traffic.

there is a whole section in this forum dedicated to 'referral spam' there are filters you can use to help block it go over to that category and have a look.

also a link here: https://moz.com/blog/stop-ghost-spam-in-google-analytics-with-one-filter

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond