Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Avg Session Duration ≥ 1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have problem with old SPAM values and some unknown stats from website (download files, search phrases, etc.). http://s18.postimg.org/3mx384eax/image.jpg

Unfortunately I dont have time to solve it now. Now I only need the most accurate statistics.

Can I use following filter? If I set Session Duration ≥ 1?  It is possible that this will affect the other data?

http://s16.postimg.org/jyn8u4g79/GA2.png

Thanks,

LN

Re: Avg Session Duration ≥ 1

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you set that filter then anything outside of the filter rule moving forward will not be collected - no historical data will be affected, and you cannot recollect the data not collected moving forward - is that what you are trying to achieve?

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,
in picture 1 you can see values, which have "Pageviews 1 or 2 or 11..." and "Avg. Time on Page: 00:00:00". These values are not possible, right? So is it better to filter them out... ?

If yes, can I use the filter which you can see in picture 2? Will the remaining data still be valuable?

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ladislav N

OK on a closer look I see what you are saying more clearly.

so you are looking at your landing pages report and seeing a lot of traffic that has a single page view and 0 time on site and thing about filtering based on page views etc.

Can you take another angle on it and have a look and see the source of this traffic - add it as a secondary dimension - my hunch is that you will see that most of it is referral source.

if you go across to Acquisition>Referral you will likely see that there are a lot of sources that are bringing you similarly behave 'traffic' - this is referral spam - are you familiar with it?

basically fake traffic to your site that usually has a 100% bounce rate which = 1 page view and spends 0 seconds on your site.

It can actually be a considerable issue/source of referral traffic.

there is a whole section in this forum dedicated to 'referral spam' there are filters you can use to help block it go over to that category and have a look.

also a link here: https://moz.com/blog/stop-ghost-spam-in-google-analytics-with-one-filter

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond