Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Attach Hostname to Request URI Filter - Not Working

SMG Badged Google Partner
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I'm following Google's directions to show the full page URL in reports.  This is duplicating my URLs in some rows (under real time reporting) as follows: www.example.com/www.example.com - but just for some - not all.

When I change the last line in the filter, Constructor: $A1$B1 to just $B1, it does not duplicate, but some pages are missing the hostname altogether and just show as /subfolder.

This is a roll-up GA profile covering dozens of different websites/domains. That is why I need to see the hostname.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

In the View Settings page for the relevant View, is there anything entered in the Default page field
(directly after the timezone for country/territory setting)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Nope - field is blank. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Are there any other filters also applied to the same View?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Yes - 3 search & replace, and 5 lowercase filters. One of the S&R is called Hide Index File, where search string replaces filter field Request URI .*index\..*|.*default\..* with /. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

What i usually do, is keep a Test View for filter testing to see how it changes report data before applying it to a reporting View.

Since you already have the Prepend hostname filter applied to a reporting View.. what I would do is go to the View's filter table, and above the Filter table is the option to Assign Filter Order. 
Change the order of the filters so that the Prepend Hostname filter is #1, the first filter in the list. 
I would then visit a couple of the website urls that you know have been reporting as funky, and in the Real Time reporting, see if the changed filter order has fixed the funky reporting issue

(filters work in the order they are applied to a View).
If it does fix it.. wahoo all done

If it doesnt fix it..

create a new View.. name it Test or similar and apply just the Prepend Hostname filter.. 
Visit those same problematic URLS and see if they report correctly with the single filter applied.
If they do.. then you are going to have to test with each filter to work out which one is causing the issue when the prepend hostname filter is also applied and then decide what reporting strategy you will use.. 

eg whether to not add the prepend hostname filter to the current View & create a new View just for the prepend hostname reporting..

or

add the prepend hostname filter to the current View and remove the problematic filter.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Bronwyn, am grateful for your help Smiley Happy

Good advice about creating a new View for testing. I've done that, and only put in the one filter to prepend hostname, but still seeing the same issue where some of the page URLs are being duplicated. I've testing with both $A1$B1 and just $B1 in the output to constructor field.

URLs are showing with a / at the beginning, so /www.example.com, and then duplicates are appearing as www.example.com/www.example.com. Does this strike you as odd? 

Maybe the issue has to do with the regex as we are working with a rollup profile covering dozens of different URLs.  Any other thoughts? 

THANK YOU!!!!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @SMG :-)

Maybe the issue has to do with the regex as we are working with a rollup profile covering dozens of different URLs.  Any other thoughts? 

Which regex would that be.. the regex for the S&R Filter called Hide Index File?

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Well, the values we are putting into the fields. 

Re: Attach Hostname to Request URI Filter - Not Working

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Bare with me. sorry if my questions etc seem somewhat drawn out, there is a method to my madness. 

URLs are showing with a / at the beginning, so /www.example.com, and then duplicates are appearing as www.example.com/www.example.com. Does this strike you as odd? 

Yes totally odd.. 

Good advice about creating a new View for testing. I've done that, and only put in the one filter to prepend hostname, but still seeing the same issue where some of the page URLs are being duplicated. I've testing with both $A1$B1 and just $B1 in the output to constructor field.

You indicated that testing the Prepend Hostname filter in a Test View with no other filters applied.. was returning some unexpected, faulty/funky pageview results.. to me, this indicates that there is possibly something not right with the pageview data to begin with before any filters are being applied to it

Was the default All Website Data View left with no filters applied to it?