Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Applying Age Demographics to Product Performance Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - I just activated the Age Demographics in my GA account.  The information is interesting, but now I am curious if it is possible to apply that age to a report like the Product Performance Report to understand what various age groups are buying.

I applied Age as a secondary metric, but it came back with zero results.  

Am I going about this in the wrong way?  Is there a better way to get the information I'm after?

I appreciate the help,

Victoria

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Victoria R
March

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Victoria - 

The Age demographic reporting is interesting. One thing to remember is that it will not retroactively populate data in your account, so you will have to wait for new transactions to occur before you see age and gender information attached to them. 

On top of that, you will have to wait for a significant amount of new transactions to occur before you see age and gender details occur the more your divide up individual transactions by demographics. This is because Google has a minimum threshold of data it requires to keep individual data relatively anonymous. This is so you can't keep dividing the sales data you have enough times to be able to infer the gender and age of a single individual who made a purchase and potentially attach it with the specifics of the order they made. Overall trends are fine, it's just when it gets finite enough for your to be able to single out users that Google gets nervous. They make promises about protecting users personally identifiable information and do not want to be responsible for sharing it with others. 

In Google Analytics there are about 50 ways to get at the same pieces of information. I took a little bit of time to make custom reports for age and gender based transactions that lined up the information I wanted to see in one place, rather than having to run several reports and stitch them together. 

Another idea is to make a spread of custom audience segments for age and gender combinations like M 25-34 and F 25-34 to compare instead of just Male vs Female. 

I suggest spending some more time exploring when you have a little more to analyze. Enjoy your new data!

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

As @Liz L stated, it may take some time to get any actionable demographics data. You are viewing the "right" segment ("50 different ways"), you just don't have enough data yet. Smiley Happy

Tom

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Another thing to consider is that by purchasing from your site, it's possible you have data regarding these customers sitting in your CRM somewhere. Consider looking at what you have and then importing it back into GA (anonymised, of course).

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good to know - thank you for the insight!  I'll have to try to set up some custom reports myself, though it sounds like I have some time before there's a ton to look at.

I appreciate it!