AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Apply filter to a property view

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am in the process of creating a dashboard within the google-add-on sheets, however segments created in GA cannot be simply applied to the reports. I was thinking of creating a new view within GA which is filtered by specific site section, and then using this view within the google sheet. How do you I go about applying this type of filter in the view, so the data only includes traffic (sessions, bounce rate, transactions etc) to this section of the website only.

Thanks

Mat

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Apply filter to a property view

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mat,

You can use a custom filter, include type. Choose Request URI for filter field and enter the filter pattern you want to use for the site section you want to include. This can be /blog/ for example or you may have to use a regular expression, it depends on your URL structure. Verify your filter to make sure that it works. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your reply. This will work for the non-secure areas as they all include savings in the url, however when customer enters the secure area the url structure changes so it will not include the transactions for this section. Any ideas on how to filter/segment views to only include specific site sections & products?

Cheers

Mat

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mat,

You can define multiple sections using a regular expression like (\W|^)(savings|other)(\W|$)
This will include urls with 'savings' and urls with 'other' in them.
You can test your regular expressions against the URLs using this tool: http://www.analyticsmarket.com/freetools/regex-tester
Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold, I will give that a go.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Let me know how you get on. Thanks.