Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Campaign for a YouTube Video not displaying or tracking correctly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are looking to set up a campaign to track a QR code with a URL connected to a YouTube video for installation. I used the Campaign URL builder to take the youtube URL and add campaign metrics to it in order to start tracking in Analytics.

The short URL that it creates from the Campaign builder is = https://goo.gl/zBaXGB

This has been put into multiple QR Code Generators to create the QR Code with still no success of tracking.

The overall URL looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeKmIaA03Kg&utm_source=qrcode&utm_campaign=locker_install_qr_code&ut...

So it has the additional campaign information connected to it, however I am still unable to get this information when testing to show up in the campaigns section in Analytics.

Please Help me understand what I am missing!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve :-)

I understand re the QR code with the URL which links to a YouTube video.

Is that youtube video then embedded into a website that has GA tracking installed together with GA event tracking setup to track video plays and similar? If this is the case then you can track ppl to the website page with a url with the appropriate campaign parameters, you can then also track the actions taken on the video eg play, pause and similar for ppl that have come to the website via that campaign.

GA integration with youtube, only provides tracking and reporting of visits to your channel page(s)

Youtube has its own analytics (which are seperate to GA) that provides engagement data etc such as likes/dislikes, commenting, subscribers, #of minutes watched and so on.
This can be exported out of youtube

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Bronwyn,

When looking at the integration between GA and Youtube It only looks like it tracks individuals when they go to our main channel page but not when they look at specific videos etc. I did create a brand new UA code for Youtube to have it completely separate from the rest of our tracking to try to be able to drill in further.

The video right now is not embedded right now, I thought by connecting GA with YouTube I would be able to see the traffic by sending them directly to that video vs having to embed on a landing page to then view the video.

Generally when wanting to view a video on mobile, it would be ideal to open right within the youtube app or mobile youtube vs a landing page to then play the video.

But if the only way to actually track that the view came from a campaign labeled qr_code is by having it be embedded on a landing page under a website that has GA code on it then that is what we will have to do.

Thank you for the reply and let me know if that is my only option