AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Ad-Hoc Channel Grouping issue

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I am running a standard regex filter to include valid hostnames, for example: domain\.com|subdomain\.domain\.com

In doing so, it appears I have triggered the following message: "You are using a filtered view which may cause your ad-hoc channel grouping data to be inaccurate."

When viewing (in the filtered view) Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels - I only see (other) and Paid Advertising, for example:

channel-grouping.jpg

I am running the exact same hostname filter setup on several other Analytic properties for different domains, and am not facing this issue, the default channel grouping is normal, for example:

correct-channel-grouping.jpg

Any ideas regarding why the filter is tripping the message and the strange channel grouping illustrated in the first screen grab? Also, how might I be able to maintain the filter and correct the channel grouping?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Dino,

The messaging is normal and is present anytime you are filtering traffic.  Basically it's a generic warning that filters might be excluding some traffic.

Seeing only other and Paid traffic is not expected.  This means one of two things:

1.  The hostnames collecting data only have paid traffic and "other".  This would mean that they are probably used for only paid campaigns. 

2.  The default channel grouping has been changed. 

"Other" is a catch-all that Google uses if the HTTP referrer or utm_medium parameter doesn't match the expected value for Organic, referral, social, etc.   So if I code my email with utm_medium=cheetahmail; this is not expected by GA (email is expected) it would group the traffic into "other".  (Or I could modify the channel settings for email to add cheetahmail - not recommended.)

Since you don't see organic, referral etc, I suspect that at some point, someone changed the default channel settings.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hi Theo,

Thank you for the valued insights. You are right on target! Since I posted, I discovered that (as you suggested) someone had changed the default channel settings. I reverted back to default, and now, the view is as expected.

Thanks again!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Dino,

No worries... glad you found it!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn