AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

track subdomain page

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone!

Hope you can help. 

I need to track users going to subdomain page, which has same path as a page inside the domain. 

ie. I need to track visitors going to sub.example.com/abc/ (as a goal completion), but I also have a page which is example.com/abc/ for which I need to exclude traffic count as goal completion. 
Can you please help me figure out how I can do that
Thanks.

Eugenio

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: track subdomain page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eugenio,

One possible solution would be to create a Filter that modifies your GA data so that moving forward the full page URL is displayed in your reports.

To match your example after creating this filter, instead of seeing /abc/ in your reports you would see sub.example.com/abc/ and example.com/abc/ which would allow you to create your subdomain specific destination goal.

This Filter can be created in your Admin under View > Filter > +ADD Filter and would need to be configured as follows:

Filter type: Custom > Advanced
Field A: Hostname
Extract A: (.*)
Field B: Request URI
Extract B: (.*)
Output to: Request URI
Constructor: $A1$B1

A few things to keep in mind:
- Filters only effect future data and cannot be retroactively applied
- You should always try out Filters in a Test view before using them in your Reporting/Main view
- Your Goal setup with need to be modified to reflect the new full URL reporting. Following your example, the goal destination would now be sub.example.com/abc/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
JD