Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

parked domain>vanity(UTM) domain>actual domain..would it work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's the situation I'm in: I have a bunch of physical ads out for our company that use a spare domain we own to 301 redirect to our actual site. I did this months ago, not knowing how to exactly go about tracking different types of ads. Now, knowing about UTM tracking with vanity urls I wish I would have used one for the ad URL's, but it's too late. 

Here's how it looks now:

www.somesite.com > www.mysite.com

So my question is, can I redirect like this: 

www.somesite.com > UTM > www.mysite.com 

and still get the tracking benefits in analytics?

Re: parked domain>vanity(UTM) domain>actual domain..would it work?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Zac_T,

Google highly frowns upon the needless use of 301 redirects. If at all possible, it is highly recommended changing your advertising display and final urls to the real domain. Thus, you should change the url from "www.somesite.com" to "www.mysite.com". You can auto-tag utm parameters by clicking on the gear in the upper right corner, selecting account settings, preferences (found in left hand navigation) then selecting edit under tracking from no to yes if not already selected.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Re: parked domain>vanity(UTM) domain>actual domain..would it work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree, and I wish I could change them, but it's too late. I think I am a bit confused though in your answer. You say I should change my advertising display to the real domain. Now correct me if I'm wrong (fairly novice at all this), but if my site name was "mysite.com" and all of my ads had "mysite.com" on them, wouldn't they all be lumped in with direct traffic?