AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET Chrome and Firefox

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have implemented GA on two websites using the same script (with different keys of course) but for some reason only one of them is receiving an error the first time a page is loaded. The error only occurs while using Chrome or Firefox, and is significantly delaying the page load time.

The error seems to be a resource request from GA and contains 'collect?' in the request string. The error message is: net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET. After this error the page will finish loading.

I have tried moving the script around - before the closing body tag, after the opening body tag, and in the head tag - but the error persists. I have also tried disabling all other scripts on the page to see if there was a JS conflict, but the error will still occur. If I disable the GA script the error will not occur. The website this is occurring on is on the same server as another site which is working fine with the same script. Honestly I am at a loss so I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

The site is: PGDNABank.com. To see the error after the first load check the "Disable cache" button in the Network tab of Developer Tools and refresh.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle C
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kyle C. If you got a net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET it seems like a network issue. Check firewall to www.google-analytics.com:80

I correctly get hits to google http://i.imgur.com/8ORh3VW.png

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi jrosell,

Thank you for the quick reply. I just checked another computer and am experiencing the same issue. Our clients have also reported encountering this issue so I do not believe the issue is on the client side (though it is browser specific). Could it be a virus on the server or in the servers DNS?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kyle C.

Could be. Can you check if it happen to other sites using google analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi jrossel,

I just confirmed with our web host that our main site, which is not effected, is on the same server as our site which is effected. Our main site is using the same analytics script as well and everything is running fine on that site. Since they are on the same server I think a virus would be unlikely. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle C
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kyle C. If you got a net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET it seems like a network issue. Check firewall to www.google-analytics.com:80

I correctly get hits to google http://i.imgur.com/8ORh3VW.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great to see that you were able to get the connection through on the first try. I agree it is likely a network issue. I'll check out the firewall. Thanks for your help!